Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What I did on Summer (and Fall) Vacation




Somehow, 2016 is flying by even more swiftly than I ever thought possible.

The first half was spent furiously finishing art assignments for my mentorship; and the second has been filled thus far with painting trips, art shows, and workshops.  If you follow my adventures on social media, you probably already know what I've been up to. But here's a recap for those who don't have time to scroll through selfies and exquisitely posed food portraits.

JUNE

Completed an all-day "painting marathon" with the Plein Air Artists Colorado. Then a couple artist buddies and I went up to Colorado State Forest State Park to paint, hike, and sleep in a backcountry yurt. We encountered a big moose the last day on the trail. Thankfully he ignored us. I drove one last time to Parker, CO to turn in my final assignments and get an overall evaluation. Conclusion? I'm on the right path. Now it's just a matter of putting together a new body of work.

JULY

Painted, painted, painted; went on several small hikes, attended the First Friday Art Walk as well as the local Artist Studio Tour; framed six paintings for my next show. Went on a brief but lovely weekend campout with our church family.

AUGUST

Had a group show entitled, “Expressions: A Summer Art Exhibition & Sale” that was a general success. Everyone agreed we had a great opening. We plan to do it again next year. Finished two more paintings. Got the house ready for guests.

SEPTEMBER

My husband's parents visited us for two weeks. We went over Trail Ridge road and stayed in a cabin in Grand Lake, Colorado for several days. Visited the Plein Air Rockies show in Estes Park. Watched a bunch of sun-dazed pastel artists draw on the hot sidewalk in Loveland. Then I drove 500 miles north to the Fall Arts Fest in Jackson, Wyoming for four days, then drove another hour over the pass to participate in the Susan K. Black Foundation workshop in Dubois for another week. 

Now I'm home again and plotting to paint some more.

But first, I might take a good nap....




************************
Laura's Social Media Links

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Laura-G-Young
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LauraGYoung
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laura_g_young
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LauraGYoung



No comments: